The FY 2018 Assistance to Firefighters (AFG) grant application period is currently open and will close on October 26, 2018, at 5:00 p.m. EST.
Administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), AFG grants provide fire departments with funding for critically needed equipment, protective gear, emergency vehicles, training and other resources needed to protect the public and emergency personnel from fire and related hazards.
Learn more about the AFG application process, along with several resources to assist you in preparing your application.
For additional assistance, guidance in preparing your application, or for a review of your application, contact the IAFF Grants Department at email@example.com or (202) 824-1575. In addition to the general grant project guidance that the IAFF has developed, we have also created specific grant guidance documents (login required) for each of the grant eligible programs below:
- IAFF Peer Support Training Program
- Fire Ground Survival Training Program (FGS)
- Wellness-Fitness Initiative (WFI)
- IAFF/IAFC/ACE Peer Fitness Trainer Certification Program (PFT)
- Hazardous Materials Training for First Responder Operation (FRO)
- Training for Hazardous Materials Response: Technician (HM Tech)
Key changes to the FY 2018 AFG grant program include:
- Micro Grant threshold has increased to $50,000.
- Under the equipment category, FEMA has updated the reasons for equipment purchases.
- Under the PPE category, FEMA has updated the purchase reason for PPE/SCBA.
- Mass Casualty and HazMat Technician training have been updated from a medium to high funding priority for fire department and regional training under the Training Activity.
- Cancer Screening Programs that meet NFPA 1582 were added as a Priority 1 activity required for a Wellness and Fitness program.